Joe's

Saturday, December 11, 2004

Psychology Today: A Nation of Wimps

An interesting article about the effects of over-coddling, over-protective and over-regulating parents. I'm sure glad there was no danger of me being over-coddled as a kid.Psychology Today: A Nation of Wimps:
From the beginning play helps children learn how to control themselves, how to interact with others. Contrary to the widely held belief that only intellectual activities build a sharp brain, it's in play that cognitive agility really develops.
...
In his now-famous studies of how children's temperaments play out, Harvard psychologist Jerome Kagan has shown unequivocally that what creates anxious children is parents hovering and protecting them from stressful experiences.
...
Virginia's Portmann feels the effects are even more pernicious; they weaken the whole fabric of society. He sees young people becoming weaker right before his eyes, more responsive to the herd, too eager to fit in--less assertive in the classroom, unwilling to disagree with their peers, afraid to question authority, more willing to conform to the expectations of those on the next rung of power above them.
...
Parents need to abandon the idea of perfection and give up some of the invasive control they've maintained over their children. The goal of parenting, Portmann reminds, is to raise an independent human being. Sooner or later, he says, most kids will be forced to confront their own mediocrity.

6 Comments:

  • Umm, there, satisfied? I'm commenting. check out this article. Forty percent Joe!! that's 40. percent. wow. no wonder the rest of the world thinks americans are idiots. is it because, by and large, they are?
    as a side note, I'm sure you've enjoyed the Canadian Kit thing that has been selling quite well recently. Several people here have pointed it out to me. Funny, but the kit doesn't include that all-important item: an Ignorance Damper.
    Now don't get over-excited and erase this post, you know I'm not talking about (aboooot?) you here.
    ciao
    brennan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 AM  

  • which article? what forty percent? is it perhaps a poll of Americans which shows that forty percent hold some false belief? where is the comparable survey of canadians? or could it be that for some reason people care more about what Americans think than any other people? as the most scrutinized people, we have the odds stacked against us. if you are looking for fault with a nation and its people it is convenient to have every area investigated where fault could be found. show me the article then i'll have more specific criticism and defense.
    joe

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:25 AM  

  • Joe - you taking being right way too seriously!

    Jen xxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:07 PM  

  • Thanks Jen! Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing the canadian results on this on. I think (hope) I'm on safe ground here. And yes, i forgot to attach the article (no commentary on canadian intellect please) - it was that, among other things, 40% of americans believe that creation science should be taught in schools instead of evolution.
    and, what about my Q on the nitty-gritty of american voting? what exactly is on the ballots?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:21 AM  

  • I love the typos guys. Yes, I've been told before that I take being right too seriously (See previous sentence). Ah well. I'm getting better at not bothering with arguments of no consequence. The first lecture of Pragmatism has some good things to say along those lines. I read a good essay a while ago that proposed less oppositional, courtroom style argument and more meandering discovery. It was persuasive, but I think it underestimates the enjoyment and usefulness of an argument between two smart people ( The Age of the Essay ). Maybe I overuse it for trivial things. Partly, I just like it. It's fun.

    So, to the substantive point about creation beliefs. I had heard of that survey and suspected it was what you were talking about. Before I say anything more, I'd like to know exactly what your point is. There are any number of things one could argue starting from such a fact.There are some things I think you can fairly say upon hearing that statistic and some things that I think are unfair. I'd like to know what that fact makes you think before I say anything else.

    By Blogger joe, at 3:10 PM  

  • So do I. Should there not be a comma in the sentence "I love the typos guys" (ie. "I love the typos, guys.")..? Oh, and you missed a space later too - but now I'm just being defensive and pedantic. Sorry. Will email you later.

    Jen xxx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.